Yesterday I turned 42 years old. For the next year, my age = Jackie Robinson's jersey number. Which is awesome.
It's my custom on my birthday to consider those whom I have now outlived. I do this to honor those who have died at a younger age, and give thanks to God for another year of life. I also do it to remind myself that I don't have all the time in the world. My death draws ever nearer.
Here is a list of people who died at age 41.
- Patrice O'Neal, comedian
- Gregory Jarvis, astronaut
- Diana Hyland, actress
- Margaux Hemingway, actress
- Brad Davis, actor
- Karl Mueller, musician (Soul Asylum)
- Jeff Healey, musician
- Andrew Koenig, actor
- Nate Dogg, rapper, musician
- And, finally, Lt. Glenn C. Perry of the New York City department, along with 107 other 41 year old men and women, who were murdered by Al Qaeda on September 11, 2001.
"Blessed is he who keeps his death ever before his eyes." --Thomas a Kempis