Leaving Orcas Island
We are packing up. My wife, daughters, and I have lived on Orcas Island, off the coast of Washington State, for the entire month of June. Tomorrow we are catching an early ferry for the mainland.
We have been staying here thanks to the benevolence of the Cairns family. We can not thank them enough for allowing to stay in their home for an entire month. It has been a huge blessing.
Last night, I asked the daughters what they liked about staying here. I have a list of things. In no particular order:
- Whale Watching (OK, that was number one)
- Canoeing on Cascade Lake
- Going to the top of Mt. Constitution
- Hiking in Moran State Park and Obstruction Pass
- Playing Settlers of Catan (and Seafarers of Catan) for the first time.
- Putting together a huge Yellow Submarine puzzle
- Having our friend Emme here for a week
- Taking the ferry to San Juan Island to go to the movies
- The girls loved special mornings spent individually with their mom
- Shopping in East Sound and Friday Harbor
- Being mere feet away from deer several times a day
- Playing outside together
- Turning left or right out of our front door, and walking to the shore
- Meeting some truly nice people on the island
- Seeing beautiful flowers everywhere
- Walking to everything, including to the grocery store
- Cooking our own meals and eating together
- Sharing Morning Prayer, Bible studies, and prayer time
For me, the best thing has been spending lots of time with my beautiful wife and amazing daughters. It is one thing to spend a day together, or a weekend, or even a week. It is something else to just be together for a solid month. Time spent with no agenda is precious.
I have been working on a book while I've been here. I have gotten quite a bit done, hammering out a rough draft. It has been great to get the time, but also to use the time. I have also been spending time on my relationship with the Lord and with myself. That has been great.
Next we are going to be driving around the western U.S. for a couple of weeks, staying with friends. We will be in Northern California for a couple of days, then Reno NV, then Las Vegas, then L.A. then San Diego. After all that we are headed back to Northern New Mexico and, hopefully, to Colorado Springs. Our intention is to spend the second half of July in Colorado.
The home we are staying at is far from the fires, but we aren't sure how things are going to work out. Our prayers have certainly been for the people of Colorado, and definitely not because we're thinking of being there! I spoke to someone in Colorado Springs yesterday and talked about our experience of natural disaster a couple of years ago in Nashville. It is a horrible thing to have happen, and my heart goes out to them.
Please pray for us as we travel. God's blessing to you.